1/2 cup jowar (white millet)
1 cup chopped mixed vegetables
1/2 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1 tsp oil
salt to taste
For the topping
2 tbsp chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp chopped onions
2 tsp chopped coriander (dhania)
1 cup fresh low fat curds (dahi)
- Grind the jowar to a coarse powder in a blender.
- Combined the ground jowar and salt with 3 cups of water and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles or till it is cooked.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the vegetables and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked jowar mixture with 1½ cups of water and simmer for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Top with the tomato, onion and coriander.
- Serve hot with curds.
If the porridge becomes too thick while serving, adjust its consistency by some adding some water