1/3 cup whole bajra (black millet)
3 tbsp yellow moong dal (split yellow gram)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 tsp asafoetida (hing)
1 tbsp ghee
salt to taste
- Clean and grind the bajra to a coarse powder in a blender. Keep aside.
- Wash the ground bajra and moong dal together.
- Combine the bajra-moong dal mixture and salt with 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 4 whistles or until the bajra is cooked.
- Heat the ghee in a pan and add the cumin seeds and asafoetida. When the seeds crackle, pour this mixture over the cooked khichdi and mix well.
- Adjust the consistency of the khichdi at the time of serving by adding ½ cup of hot water if necessary.
- Serve hot with kadhi or curds.